Tuesday, September 15, 2009

REDROCK RELAY!!!!!!!!!!!

On September 4th my sister-in-law Amber, me, my friend Jen, eight Delta girls, and one guy all ran the Redrock Relay. Here is what the Redrock Relay is: 187 mile relay from Brianhead to Snow Canyon, a 8 thousand foot decent. There were 12 on our team we each ran three legs any where from 7 to 18 miles total per person. We spent the night before at this cute little cabin.

It was such an amazing experience. We had the best time we had a fun group our drivers were great, we had a blast. Although it was the hardest thing I have ever done. My first leg was 6.5 miles down Cedar canyon. My first mile was uphill then the last 5.5 were all downhill. I dropped almost 1800 ft. It was raining the first part of my run and I ended up getting a blister about 3.5 miles in. I also was lucky enough to wear a cute reflector vest because it was a really busy highway.

I was in the first van with the first 6 runners, after we all did our first leg we went into Cedar to get some thing to eat. By the time we started eating I wasn't feeling well I was getting really sick. My lungs and throat were killing because of the high altitude. (about 4 or 5 of us were pretty sick and we went threw a bottle of Maalox like it was nothing)

We started our 2nd leg around 7:00 PM, I was runner # 6 and started my second run at midnight it was 6.4 miles up for a while then down the last little while, and I wore the cute vest again, and endured with my blister. I ran from Virgin to LaVerkin. While I was running there was tons of thunder and lighting in the distance and I just barley missed having to run in it. Poor Carly runner #7 had to run in it. After our second leg we went and tried to sleep for a while, it didn't work out very well I think I ended up getting maybe 20 or 30 minutes of sleep.

We started our last leg around 5 AM and so my leg started about 11 AM or so. I ran past Gunlock reservoir. I was still sick and it was starting to get so hot. I struggled the most on this leg. It was 5.5 a lot of up and down again. With not much sleep, my blister (that I could feel swooshing back and forth), and the heat----but I did it, I finished. 18.4 miles I did it.

Everyone did such a great job our team finished in 30 hours. Amber and Jen did awesome. Poor Amber fell, and poor Jen had a lot of uphill. The other van had lots of rain, thunder, and hot temperatures during the final legs. But we all did it and had a great time.

Amber

Shannon passing off to Jen. We passed off a slap braclet.

More pictures to come later. I didn't take very many. But Shannon took lots so I will post more when I get some from her.

6 comments:

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

That looks like fun!

Jill said...

oh, FUN is NOT the word I would use to describe what I think this event would be! But I have to say that you are AWESOME!!! serioulsy, who does this???

Bryan and Jessica said...

WOW! You are amazing! I don't know if I could run that far, let alone with a blister and feeling sick! good job Mel!

Kim said...

You guys are my heros! I backed out of this race after thinking about it for about a day and I'm glad I did!! I'm not as tough as you girls. It looks like you had so much fun though. I definitely should have been one of the drivers. :)

Shafferprincess said...

You're one tough lady, Mel! My sister and her hubby did the Wasatch Back a couple of years ago, and we watched them run in. Yikes! Sounds hard - too hard for me. But, then, I've never liked running. Ever. :)

Way to go!

Wilson Family said...

You are awesome. Sorry that it rained for you all. It looks like you had fun anyway.